Monday, May 14, 2012

Cuticle Care

Okay so I am by no means a professional. But I thought it would be good to tell you about products I have been using to care for my annoying, dry, gross cuticles.

In Australia right now, it's starting to get cold. And as soon as that happens, I start to get hangnails, my nails chip, break, you name it - I get it. Well actually I always get it, but it seems to get worse in winter. In fact, my cuticles get so irritated by the cold weather that they hurt. Recently, I have began to pay extra attention to my nails and skin. I've been reading other blogs and seeing what other girls do and I've learnt a lot, because it seemed that no matter what I did - the problem would keep coming back.

Again, you will probably see the same type of information on other blogs. But the reason why I have chosen to post about it - is because what I have been doing has worked for ME and has worked wonders. Why I'm writing about these products, is not to do a comparison or a review - but to tell you about the variety of products I am using all together to improve the appearance and health of my nails.

Since Christmas I have been using Burts Bee's Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream:



The first thing I noticed was the smell, obviously it smells like lemons. But it smells like real lemons, which was refreshing. The consistency is similar to a lip balm and a little goes a long way. As much as I like this product, it didn't seem to be working any miracles by itself. So I decided to look into other products as well, and the products you see in this post - I am using on a daily basis.


I have read a lot of raves about Lush's Lemony flutter, so I decided that I would buy myself some next time I was near the Lush shop. You will find that a lot of people will compare this with Burt's Bees - but I'm not comparing them because I like them both and use them both. I'll wear LF one day, and BB the next, because I believe that your body gets used to products easily. This is why you change your perfumes, your shampoos, your brands of soaps etc. Rotate things around and keep your skin, hair and nails guessing so they lather up whatever you give them. That's my theory anyway.

 

So LF is different to BB, they have different consistencies and their smell is different too. LF feels more like a chocolate mousse type of substance and again, a little goes a long way. As for the smell - I love both. But the difference is (to me) is that BB smells like real lemon, LF smells like lemon lollies. I've read people saying that they hate the smell of LF, but I love it. But if you're not confident from what you have read or heard from others, don't rush into the Lush shop and buy it. Find the tester and smell it before you decide to purchase it. Because if you don't like it, well you probably won't use it - and that's a waste of money :) I think if I were to choose one over an another, I would probably choose Lemony Flutter because it is a little easier to apply because it feels more like a lotion and will soak into your skin more.

Lately I have been rubbing the cuticle creams numerous times a day. While I'm at uni, I rub it on in lectures and in class - luckily my friends like the smell of them! Some people might not like doing things like this in public, but the way I see it, if it's going to stop your cuticles from your hurting in the cold then go ahead and do it! I now apply cuticle cream at LEAST twice a day. Once a day is just not enough for me and it appears that other people feel the same.

Very recently (as in last week), my order arrived for the highly recommended Qtica Cuticle Repair Balm.



Now this is stuff pretty expensive. So I ordered a little sample tub from eBay and WOW. This stuff, does exactly what it says it does. I don't know if it's the combination of this and the cuticle creams, but I honestly noticed an instant improvement after my first application of this.

I apply this just before I go to bed. I can't explain the formula of this, it's like a milky, sticky gel. Hmm that sounds disgusting doesn't it? Sorry, it really isn't. You can practically feel it working and hydrating your cuticles. It is thick and sticky, so what I do is I apply it - let it soak into my cuticles and then rub it in before I go to bed. I LOVE the smell of this, I can't describe the smell but it's lovely <3

LASTLY, hand cream. I have dry hands which drive me crazy at the best of times. So I did a bit of research and found a highly recommended hand cream that does not make you feel like you have washed your hands in a bucket of oil.


Not only is it not oily, it is fragrance free and like the other products - a little goes a long way! What I like best about this is that you can wash your hands throughout the day and your hands will remain smooth and silky. SILKY not SLIPPERY! I put this on of a morning and instantly feel better for it.

This all might seem a bit much, but this is what I've decided to do to help my hands and nails. And while it might seem like a lot to do, it really isn't - especially if you keep them around to remind you to do it. Or do it while you're watching tv, or at uni etc.

While it's obvious that you should protect your skin in the summer, I have made the executive choice to put in just as much effort during winter. And so far I am really really pleased with the results :)

1 comment:

  1. Great products, will have to try them..thanks :)

    ReplyDelete